Monday, July 23, 2012

Another thought on advertising ...


Ok … I am a week late and seven dollars short on this, but this morning I had a thought about how men / women are marketed to differently.

A few female-geared products are associated with the phrase “Because you deserve it”.  I forget the main product (I think it’s a cosmetic item) and this is their slogan.  I can’t remember ever seeing this on a men’s product, although there might be a few that I can’t recall.

So … it seems (in the advertising world) that men are entitled to high-quality goods, by virtue of being male.  Females, conversely, have to be reminded of their worthiness to purchase and enjoy these products. 

I can’t remember if anyone brought this up when we were discussing it, but I find it interesting.

Hayley

3 comments:

  1. In addition the old L'oreal commercial, "I'm worth it." I'm processing what you said. I guess it is implied in male advertising, "Rated the Best New Truck of the Year." Of course guys want the best, and don't need to be talked into getting it for themselves.

    I'd like to hear a male opinion on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L'oreal ... that's it! Thank you Colleen!

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. I'm gonna keep mulling this over too :)

    ReplyDelete