Thursday, July 19, 2012

Commonplace: A State of Mind

In referring to its origin, Lockridge described a commonplace as a way to celebrate self-discovery and ponder self-identity through literature. I identified several commonplaces in my life; I just did not refer to them by that term. For me, rather than through literature, a commonplace can be a state of mind as much as a physical site. Either way, it is a judgment-free zone and/or reflective environment where I, perhaps with others or by myself, can feel comfortably vulnerable.
The first commonplace that comes to mind is the women’s Bible study group that my wife joined. The group’s primary purpose is evident. However, my wife mentioned that the women also include time for discussing beauty tips, hair color, husbands, kids, restaurants, shoes, etc. My wife looks forward to that time in the week when her concerns become girlhood centric. They laugh about silly things, they listen to serious things, and offer guidance on complex things.
I also see a commonplace as being fluid, rather than fixed. It is a place created by those who are present. My family and I encourage listening to each other and talking it out. Our commonplace forms when the invitation to meet is made. We often join together over lunch, at Starbucks, on a walk, or by the fireplace. Many game plans have been developed, jokes cracked, and issues resolved in our places of unity. For us, that is where lots of bonding happens.

4 comments:

  1. "I also see a commonplace as being fluid, rather than fixed. It is a place created by those who are present. My family and I encourage listening to each other and talking it out."

    I like this idea very much. My family often gathers in a similar manner. It's fascinating to consider people as commonplace but it's totally true. Through these bonding experiences we are sent messages that help us learn and grow. Including truthful messages which are not always easy to hear. But then as we all know, real change can be painful. Thank you Bobby. This post was very insightful. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Thomas regarding "truthful" messages. Princeton scholar Dr. Cornel West stated, "We take comfort in dishonesty, because we are afraid of the truth." So true; we spend much of our day interacting on a superficial level that honesty and truthfulness can become layered and even unfamiliar to many of us. And I agree with you; painfulness often occurs when a commonplace turns into an environment for giving and/or receiving candor. For me, approaching those situations with grace is essential to the processes of learning, mending, and growing.

    Thank you for the response. Have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of commonplaces like a Ven diagram where portions of the commonplace circles overlap. I think this is why we can be part of so many discourse groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commonplaces are totally historically and contextually situated. Think about "family values" - how has and is that phrase changing?

    ReplyDelete