Thursday, July 26, 2012

Femininity, Masculinity, & Gaming


This topic is admittedly difficult for me, because my knowledge of gaming pretty much is limited to Atari (kidding – on the level).  However, given the article’s categorization of the different types of gamers, my brother definitely falls under the “power gamer” heading, so I do have some (sparse) knowledge of the phenomenon.

I think for women gamers, there is a control factor in the pursuit of gaming, which would explain that non-gamers typically see themselves as more feminine.  I am not sure of the actual spectrum, but if less feminine women (feminine in the traditional sense) are attracted to gaming, it’s because gaming allows them to embrace more masculine qualities, such as power and intelligence, in a virtual space.  I think also, although it might not be a significant variable, men are statistically more introverted than women (I believe the split is something like 25% / 33%, respectively, of the general populace – but those are ballpark figures), and I would think that might account for the lack of female gamers, because introverts would be likely to be attracted to things like role playing.

Taking that argument a step further, I believe that generally extroversion tends to be more associated with femininity, while introversion, masculinity.  The article used the example of the telephone, and women taking on the phone as a traditionally female trait.  Role playing allows introverts to act in an extroverted manner: they are socializing but protected because it’s a virtual space.  Interaction in offline spaces does not offer this degree of protection.  I am getting off track, but I do believe the introversion / extroversion spectrum cannot be completely ignored when discussing individuals’ attraction or repulsion regarding gaming.

I don’t know any female gamers, but I know several adult males who game.  And, for the most part, they game in groups of two or more (usually in addition to individual gaming).  While it serves as a male bonding experience (this kinda negates my argument about extroversion / introversion and gamers … oops), I wonder if the same is true of female gamers?  It would give women the ability to engage in traditional female socialization, while at the same time defying their gender role with the actual gaming.  Something tells me that for female gamers, gaming is a more solitary activity than it is for many men.  I have zero empirical evidence to back up that claim, though – does anyone who is / knows a female gamer have any insight?

Finally, and this is completely anecdotal – I have never been a gamer, and from what I understand about it, I am not really interested.  But I consider myself pretty far removed from traditional femininity on the male / female spectrum.  So I am not attracted to gaming because I see it as too removed from femininity, but  because I am genuinely uninterested.

Ultimately, this reading left me with many more questions than answers (and consequently a quite rambling and desultory blog post!!)

Hayley 

5 comments:

  1. I don't know any female gamers either. It's true there are some games guys can play in groups and even play against guys in groups who live in other countries. So there is a team aspect at work there. But I have never met a girl who enjoys partaking in such activities. If you are into group gaming are you being introverted? If you are gaming alone I can see that. But if you are all in one room like in an internet cafe (I have seen these in other countries) then I would say that's being more extraverted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl gamers--hmmm... I haven't really experienced seeing them either. I know a lot of girls that will turn on the gaming persona as soon as their boyfriend walks into the room to try to spend time with him, under the guise of really wanting to play--but girls throughing themselves at the controllers and playing willingly for hours--nope, can't say that I've seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a woman who exceeded the definition of a power gamer. Every night she would play a rpg game online with her husband. Her house was unhealthily filthy, I'm talking human and animal excrement on the floor, and her children dirty.

    There was also a woman at Holloman AFB who is now in prison because while her husband was deployed she played WOW and didn't give food or water to her daughter, so the child died. The husband is also facing criminal charges.

    These are horrible stories to tell. I have friends who are so addicted to Facebook that I feel they neglect their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ... that is so sad ... but, I guess it can get to the same degree as a chemical dependency ... but just, wow. I have heard of these stories, and I don’t even know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting how when we start talking about or defining "gamer" we go straight to extremes - to those who game to the point of destruction. I'm betting many of us actually know girl gamers-am thinking some of us maybe are girl gamers.

    ReplyDelete