Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lifetime: Television for women....and prepubescent girls that watch this religiously...

Not sure if I'm "on target" with the prompt for the Wednesday reading, but my assumption was that we are able to springboard from the quilting pdfs we read into what other aspects of life girls look to for guidance other than familial tradition?

One of the biggest producers and consumer of products for and by women is the Lifetime television channel. I cannot tell you how many hours and weekends I WASTED being a slave to this channel from ages 11-14.

The allure of Lifetime for me was simple: it is televison "for women" so I must be REALLY grown up if I watch it. Since Lifetime dealt with some racy scenarios (but never depicted anything vulgar on screen that I can remember) I felt like I was being rebellious but not doing anything too crazy that would get me in deep trouble with my parents.

My favorite Lifetime movies either had Melissa Gilbert as the lead actress, were based on a Danielle Steel novel, or were based off of some prominent weird scandal case that made the news in the early 90s. I remember being fascinated by all these scenarios of high school, and how the perfect life of a girl was in high school (or so I thought because of these movies--that portrayed Texas cheerleader girls in the Bible Belt, forbidden relationships and rebellious senior girls) etc. etc. I thought, man, if I study this long enough, I could be that kind of glamourous person once I hit freshman year! (Weird thinking--but I was only 11 at the time...haha!)
Unfortunately, I also watched all the horrible stalker, abusive relationship movies as well, and thought, how could anyone do this! After weening myself off of the rot that Lifetime promotes, I have calculated two archtypes that Lifetime portrays to either preteen girls that have nothing to do on weekends, housewives, or poor college students that need this cheap entertainment.... and that's 1) the victim: a woman that was once "empowered" (usually by a super 'feminine' career) gives up her career to marry some dashing Prince Charming, only to start getting the bejesus beat out of her for being 'too attractive' or was 2) the victim: of some scandal in school that involved jealous girls wanting to kill this girl for being 'too attractive' or getting the desire of a man.

Now, don't get me wrong, the network usually throws in some plot lines about rape and cancer, both morbid topics I wouldn't wish on anyone, but the frequency that this network that is supposed to be for women, doesn't have empowering films for women to watch! I understand that women don't choose to be in any of these heartbreaking situations, but I am sure that even they would like to see a network revolve more around empowerment than belittlement.

What do these weekend movie marathons suggest for girls? I wonder if there's been studies done on girls after growing up with this network, to think it's "normal" for there to be domestic abuse, date rape, or jealously between mother/daughter, sister/sister or classmates?

According to its website, Lifetime, "Lifetime Networks is a diverse, multi-media company, committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming content that celebrates, entertains and supports women,"--SUPPORTS WOMEN? Really? Maybe the network has changed since I've last watched it, but it seems to belittle women or at the very least pigeon hole them. At least their edgier rival at least shows "Bad Girls Club"--not in the least any better, but at least there's a different pigeon hole there...

But there's got to be some lure there to make women and girls come back for more from this network.... For me it was the initial glamour every female character seems to have, pre-diaster....

3 comments:

  1. I agree Wednesday's question was difficult, (I wondered if I had misread the material) but I think you've provided great examples. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! I guess I'll redo it if Jen wants me too! haha! I also wondered if I had read the wrong pdf for Wednesday!

      Delete
  2. Lifetime was (and sometimes still is!) a guilty pleasure for me ... and then they had to come up with Lifetime Movie Network ... Lifetime movies day and night? Yes, please!

    I do think a lot of the plots were highly clichéd, and most of the male characters were really one-dimensional ... but then so were a lot of the female characters. Many of the films seemed like extended PSAs or after-school specials. Even the films that dealt with "serious" subjects seemed hackneyed with poor acting and *highly* predictable plots – off the top of my head, I can remember films dealing with anorexia / bulimia, gambling addiction, self-mutilation, stalking, teen pregnancy, domestic violence … all the biggies.

    I think the one that affected me the most was The Burning Bed -- it wasn't originally a Lifetime film, but made-for-TV in the early 1980s, and based on a true story. I think it was a pretty accurate (and horrific) portrayal of spousal abuse, and the acting was good. It’s funny (read: ironic): when I was younger, I thought domestic violence was a thing of the past – like, a 1950s phenomenon that had gone the way of poodle skirts and vacuuming in high heels. The more I have lived, though, the more I have sadly realized that spousal and dating violence are still somewhat ubiquitous. I have known many women of varying ages and socioeconomic backgrounds that have experienced physical abuse in their relationships. So maybe those Lifetime movies serve useful purpose.

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete