Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Women and Games: Tomb Raider


After reading“Women and Games: Technologies of the Gendered Self” I couldn't help but think of Laura Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise. Croft clearly fits into what some girls want in a game character. These characters "appear to combine [feminine] sexy attributes with [masculine] characteristics like strength and intelligence.” I have dabbled with playing Tomb Raider and I like that Laura Croft is the main character. I just like the idea of an action hero who is a girl and is in control of her surroundings. The game places her at the forefront and you make decisions with her in mind. I don't know of any other games where women are featured as prominently as being the main character of the franchise. I can see how that positions women as taking a backseat to their male counterparts and that seems problematic. However, Croft is positioned as a headstrong, independent, smart, overachiever and I have always viewed that as a positive.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas,
    Great example! I didn't even think of Tomb Raider, and some of the case studies in the reading, women did mention being attracted to games that make them feel that they were in control of their environment. Tomb Raider would definitely fit the type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember I read in a magazine a few years ago that the creator of this character, a male, created Laura Croft to mirror the image he had of his own sister. Apparently his sister was a very independent woman who liked adventure travel and extreme sports. The article had a picture of his sister climbing a mountain --Mount Everest, I think-- with a group of friends. I definitely think that this character portrays a different image of women. Laura Croft is the one that saves the day as opposed to be the typical princess that needs to be saved by the hero.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete