Monday, July 23, 2012

gurl.com a dystopia

I agree with Shade's criticism of gurl.com and similar sites where, "community has been transformed by the process of commodification, and how users are conceived not as active agents or citizens, but as consumers. . . . empowerment is often equated with consumer sovereignty" (219).  In addition I would add that gurl.com places an emphasis on sex that seems out of place for its audience "of girls 13 and up" (225).

However,  gurl.com  needs to be given credit for meeting one of BAWIT objectives to "include the need for women to become more active users and designers of computer networking" (220). Eighteen of the nineteen individuals listed on the 'About' tab of the website are women. While most job positions aren't listed, one women is identified as the Editorial Director. The prevalence of women in management positions does not guarantee feminist-positive content though. Gurl.com has changed its offerings since Shade evaluated the website. It is no longer in affiliation with Seventeen magazine, and I was unable to find "The Paper Doll Psychology." However content includes, ""Makeup Advice" "How to Flirt and Win Him Over" and digresses further into "Ask A Naked Guy"and "50 Shades of Grey: the Musical." Advertising on the site included Zappos, dorm linens, and duct tape for all those fun crafts.

The content caused me to wonder when a commonplace becomes a stereotype. Is it when advertisers manipulate content for an audience?

The boards for postings and chat have little participation and contain insignificant evidence of production or critical analysis. Many of the responses were a single statement.

My greatest concern is the emphasis on the body. I don't recall seeing a single article about getting good grades in school, or take this quiz to see what your career aptitudes are. (Admittedly, a quiz with that topic could be scary on this site.) My overall assessment of gurl.com is that it creates an audience for marketers and promotes traditional feminine roles. The feminist utopia is nonexistent at gurl.com.







8 comments:

  1. What I am curious about is how are boys perceived? I don't see anything on boy culture that is not commodified as well.Or do I have this wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Dab. It would be interesting to do some reading on boyhood consumer culture as well, to examine the overlaps between girl and boy commodification, and to analyze the lifestyles that are sold to boys as well through commodified culture. This would also be an interesting paper topic or study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up a wonderful question in wondering when a commonplace becomes a stereotype? Somehow, I feel its when the commonplace practices become rigid in gender performances that suddenly become the norm, if that makes any sense. I feel, after reading this article, that much of the content on these sites are structed on what normative gender performances dictate are girls interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember logging onto gURL.com around the time that Primedia purchased it (I didn't know anything about the background of gURL.com, just that I wanted to go on the site.) At the very beginning, I can't recall being bombarded with ads and products--I remember gURL being very "diy/alternative/edgy" feeling with tons of posts and user interaction in the early 2000s... even with the shift in managment and ownership.... I am curious to see what shifts within the advertising world came about that then turned gurl.com into what it is today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious about boyhood commodified too. While our focus has been on girls and girlhood, it has caused me to consider the "other" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boyhood it is definitely commodified. I have two friends who growing up were completely infatuated with James Bond. They would actually look to this fictional character to show them the appropriate way to dress. As well as how to be smooth with women. I'm sure those Bond movies were aimed at the teen demographic. There is definitely this feeling now with boyhood that you can be both suave and ruggedly handsome if you just wear the right shirt or shave with the right razor. Sometimes it is hard to remember that with these advertisements we are dealing with a false reality.

      Delete
  6. When does a commonplace become a stereotype? Great question!
    I think stereotypes aren't exactly marketed only or even sometimes overtly crafted. Sometimes it seems they evolve based on experiences - ours and those of others. Actually, in a way a commonplace may be more scripted, more easily used to sell or persuade. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a comedian makes a joke about it in a routine you know it's a stereotype. Or if it makes television in some way chances are it's a stereotype.

      Delete