Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Quilting, Mothers & Daughters, and Girlhood



Both articles on quilting concerned one of the most crucial elements of girlhood: the relationship between mother and daughter.  In particular, Liz Rohan’s piece offers a beautiful description of a mother-daughter relationship.  She writes, “[In] the eighteenth and nineteenth century, ‘normal relationships between mother and daughter was one of sympathy and understanding.’ In fact, Smith-Rosenberg asserts, ‘An intimate mother-daughter relationship lay at the heart of the female world.’”


Although quilt-making became passé in the twentieth century, the sentiment of transferring knowledge inter-generationally is timeless and essential to girlhood.  While women today are not relegated to domestic duties to the extent of their nineteenth century forerunners, domesticity remains a woman’s domain and related information is still handed from mother to daughter. Beyond household chores, mothers teach their daughters how to be girls – and later, how to be women.  They transfer this information by both example and instruction.  Many times, it is multi-generational, and involves the sharing of things such as recipes or holiday traditions.  Another example might be music, illustrated so poignantly in Dvorak’s piece, “Songs My Mother Taught Me”.


The mother-daughter relationship is probably the most intimate part of a female’s girlhood experience.  While other aspects of girlhood are dictated largely by societal expectations, media, and peers, and thus share a certain uniformity, a girl’s relationship with her mother is unique and highly personal.  Even among the same family, women often comment that they had a “different” mother than their siblings.  Maybe even more than they realize, mothers influence their daughters’ perceptions of themselves; I believe I have read reports of studies showing mothers who frequently diet “teach” their daughters to dislike their own bodies. 


In addition, there seems to be an idealization of the mother-daughter relationship that has almost raised it to mythical status.  I am not sure if this happened at a greater or lesser degree in the nineteenth century, but Rohan asserts that during that time “the boundaries between a mother and daughter were indistinguishable.”  Based on factors such as isolation and lack of non-domestic life-choices for women of the time, mothers and daughters were by necessity more dependent on each other than today’s women, but this does not seem to have affected the intimacy of the relationship – then or now.


I believe, if asked to comment on the most important aspects of their girlhood, most women would mention their mother as a central – and perhaps the most important – player in their transition from girl to woman.

6 comments:

  1. I felt this way as well after delving into the readings. The child-parent relationship is so important!Frankly, it determines what type of person that child will be. It does this more than any other interaction the child may experience during this time. I was getting this in my own post but you articulated it much more eloquently. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothers do influence daughters perceptions of themselves. Also, as with the quilting subject, a mother's activities become focal points in shaping a daughter's identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlhood can also be heavily influenced by other female family members such as a grandmother, aunt, or an older sister. In this time of economical turmoil and the necessity for multiple generations to reside in one home, girls now have the benefit of input from a multigenerational female family members therefore allowing for cutural enrichment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother was terminally ill when I was 10 and died when I was twelve. Subsequently, I had to look to other female role models. I really feel that I consciously took a trait from one person and another trait from another person. If I had a question I watched or asked someone. While I felt a huge void growing up, the concern I have now is that I didn't learn how to have a mother/daughter relationship.

    I also think that some pioneering families, like today, were very far geographically from their family/mothers. I see my children and think they will grow up and scatter to where the opportunities are. The challenge will be keeping the family relationship and memories intact through space and time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh Colleen-you hit on such a sentimental note and I keep going back and forth with each post I read. "The challenge will be keeping the family relationship and memories intact through space and time." And your story makes me think of 'quilting' as a metaphor for what you have done to keep or reestablish memories of your mother. "I consciously took a trait from one person...." You have 'quilted' a memory or memories, one trait at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your focus on the figure of mother in girlhood - and as it relates to female production is wonderful. It's interesting how key "mother" is as a figure and yet how fraught that relationship can be for some girls (I guess it's a little fraught for all of us). How does that change a girl's identity if her mother is absent or not the norm?

    Also, I love the way you are thinking about how women's crafts are passed down through the generations. (I tried to get my gram to teach me to crochet but she said I should just buy a book - that's how she learned). Do "male" activities and skills get passed down this way too? Is there something uniquely feminine in mentoring approaches to women's artistic production?

    ReplyDelete