Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pinterest and Low Art


Thinking back on our work with Pinterest, that sort of “virtual collection” relates to more traditional consumption/production for girls by my estimation in that it presents many objects of low art.  The recipes, handmade clothing and crafts, along with fantastic decorations, and beautiful photography make low art tangible and reflect our everyday lives.  The traditional productions are reflected as many of the recipes are organic, and many of the crafts made, are made from affordable, accessible items. 

This is not all of Pinterest, of course.  Interestingly, is that one can find a handmade traditional cotton Mexican wedding dress, posted alongside a $1500.00 cotton dress sold in New York City at a vintage specialty store.  However, the high fashion, high priced items on Pinterest are often a reflection, or mimicry/re-visitation of the traditional products produced and consumed by females.      

These new media spaces offer new opportunities for girls, as there is global access.  The low arts taught at home by mom, by grandma, or by teachers and neighbors used to be all that a girl was exposed to.  However, the web offers blogs and websites that give step-by-step instructions on how to create, or modify.  There are a number of YouTube videos that expose girls on varying ways to modify their t-shirts, creating shirts and tanks from men’s shirts.  There are instructions on how to dye Kerr mason jars, etc.  We are no longer only exposed, as women to the skills of our local community, but we can now make bread that is made by a family in Germany, because the recipe and instructions are on the web. 

Interesting to me, is that I have not stopped producing items within my home, like food or handcrafted items.  I have only modified by integrating new techniques, new ideas, and have ordered products online, like beads which need to be shipped.  The love and need within the home and community to have the handcrafted products for both production and consumption (both serving soul and body) has not changed – just the fascinating ways by which girls are now learning to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the internet can facilitate home production. I still feel a difference in my brain when I look up a recipe online instead of a cookbook. My daughters may never own cookbooks.
    I prefer the term handicrafts to low arts, or folk art maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen! I struggled with the term "low art" also, but learned in a Women's Studies course that the use of "low" was not necessarily negative. One of the artists, Kara Walker, helped me to see that the mediums used in the "low art" area gained the title, but not the value or craftsmanship behind the art itself. I do like the terms handicrafts and folk art also. However, did spend time getting used to using "low art," in academia.

    I definitely feel the need to print each great recipe I find and place it in a notebook, rather than just bookmarking it on my computer. There's something fantastic about having that worn recipe with butter spots, or cinnamon smudges, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete