Thursday, July 19, 2012

Online Spaces, Memes, and Girlhood


I think that new media spaces, while they have changed the way information is conveyed, have not generally changed the message.  Although online spaces might alter certain aspects of one’s identity – for example, guest books, blog comments, and message boards afford introverts an opportunity to be extroverts, in those contexts – people’s identities don’t undergo a major transformation online.  One could posit that people using the internet present an idealized self, but this is also true in the offline world: we all project a certain image in public, and while that projection usually corresponds to a greater or lesser degree to our private selves, there is almost always a degree of disconnect.  (Anecdotal: in public spaces, I act like an extrovert, but in private, I am introverted to the core.)  However, one element of the online world, memes, seems to be affecting girlhood and communication in a way that other mediums are not. 

I mentioned this in another comment, but I am fascinated in people’s social media profiles, because they provide a window into both the person’s view of themselves and their desired projections of themselves to others.  One way that social media differs from offline identity is the control one has over their image.  In the “real world”, behavior and speech can only be controlled to an extent; faux pas are frequent and unavoidable.  Online, one can project a much more calculated image of themselves.

A popular trend among Facebook users is the meme – typically, an- image with accompanying words meant to be humorous, but often providing a social observation (sometimes sarcastically, sometimes poignantly).  There are memes relating to sex, religion, politics, and relationships, among other topics.  Memes seem to be growing steadily in popularity, and are spread by clicking “share” – usually, a user will see a meme on a friend’s Facebook wall and then share it on their own.  I find women’s use of memes particularly interesting.  The memes they share often express a sentiment that they would not feel comfortable sharing directly, in something like a status update or note, but sharing it via a meme is safe and more acceptable.  Perhaps in this way, memes have changed girls’ online spaces by giving them permission to be as assertive as boys and men – who, traditionally, do not feel the need to use a medium like memes to express opinions that could rock the boat.  Memes might change the way girls communicate.

And while both male and female users on Facebook use memes, I wonder if girls and women share them at higher rates?  But then I also wonder ... are memes increasing girls' assertiveness, or are they just providing another was for girls to be indirect in expressing themselves?

An example of a meme (a personal favorite):


Hayley

10 comments:

  1. Oh Haley, I love the notecard!

    I think memes could be compared to a commonplace book.

    And I still make a lot of faux-pas online. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also -- you're so correct in your comparison of memes to commonplace books -- I hadn't thought of it that way.

      Hayley

      Delete
  2. You are so right when you say that "online, one can project a much more calculated image of themselves." I mention it too in my blog. We "stage" our image when we socialize online. Our virtual social life is an extension of our real social life, but our virtual life can be adapted deliberately.

    Love the meme:)

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. "online, one can project a much more calculated image of themselves."

    What about your phone voice? Don't you all have a phone voice? I know I do. Mine has been honed and perfected. I can be having a rough day and receive a call and make that person feel as if they are the only person in the world that matters. I attribute the majority of this to my phone voice. A good phone voice control anyone into thinking the total opposite of the situation; that I am on top of the world with little to be concerned about. I guess with Skype now and chat with video this becomes a bit more difficult as people can actually see your expression. But when it comes to a cell phone or landline we can also portray a more calculated image of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas,

      Actually ... although I do have a phone voice, I would say that the person I am on the phone is least similar to the person I really am ... if that makes sense. I loathe the phone, because you can't see the other person's facial expression, and for me that is a big cue in interacting with someone.

      I am actually more comfortable communicating via text or online chat than on the phone.

      Hayley

      Delete
  4. I also agree that our online image is a more calcuted image. Although we are exposing our self image in a way that can be expressive and possibly at times somewhat risque, it is still afterall merely a virtual image and can be viewed as merely an illusion of who we are. On the same token we cannot discount that maybe we are creating a virtual mirror image of who we are or who we want be i.e. more ouspoken, more cutesy, or more serioius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,

      You know, personally, I think I am a lot funnier in real life than online -- probably because my humor relies more on spontaneity and facial expressions than anything else.

      Also … I think we can gain insight into how people view themselves via their online persona more than how they behave in the offline world. I think most of our behaviorisms / quirks / mannerisms offline are unconscious. Again, anecdotal: I have a horrible habit when I am in class of prefacing everything I say with, “I could be wrong, but …” or “This might sound stupid, but …” A few years ago, a friend pointed it out to me and told me that it really annoyed her. I hadn’t realized I did that and I became very self-conscious about it. But it’s not someone that I can control, either. (I learned in my linguistics class that women tend to dismiss their observations with those types comments more than men.) When I am online, I can type, “I might sound stupid, but …” and then go back and delete it. The question is, which representation of Hayley is more accurate?

      Hmm … I think I just argued against myself … maybe our real-life personas reveal more about how we view ourselves than our online personas?? Clearly, I need to give this more thought.

      Hayley

      Delete
  5. I think we, or at least I do, practice impression management on a daily basis, real or virtual. It is not only on the phone but in person as well. People are different people to different people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The popularity of memes among girls makes me think of offline memes we had as girls - signing letters LYLAS (love ya like a sis) and wearing friendship bracelets. They were similar sorts of codes and stand ins for larger ideas. Maybe they are more commonplaces than memes but it seems like my girlfriends and I passed them around more than the boys I knew.

    ReplyDelete