Monday, July 30, 2012

Final Proposal


My proposal for the final paper in English 582, Representations of Girlhood, is to focus on the global nature of girl and female low art as a means of building community.  I proposal that the sources I annotate for the final paper proposal consider friendships, tips and sharing, as well as instruction sharing between women/girls happening at the global level. 
There are numerous blogs, Pinterest, and websites dedicated to sharing of “how-to’s” and “DIY” or Do It Yourself projects, which women from numerous locations across the globe share.  Some of these Internet sites include:  Pinterest, The Knot, DIYGirl.tumblr.com, and You Tube.  These sites of only a few of hundreds of sites girls/women can visit to post questions, and problems with reference to their art.  They range from photo postings, such as Pinterest, to You Tube videos where girls and women post themselves actually creating the craft or art they have posted about.  Various forms of media are used and many are interested.  Many blogs utilize text, while posting photographs or short video tutorials on how to complete a particular tas.  
In a nutshell, this final paper should examine the various sites and media made by girls and women, for girls and women, at the global level.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great way to approach the idea of girls becoming producers rather than consumers. I wonder about the numerous "how-to-x-y-z" type of videos on YouTube. I find myself (a professed tomboy) often looking up how to do my hair in updo's for social outings where a ponytail won't cut it (again, this is usually brought about by another woman suggesting I try a new look for the special event). More specifically, I'm curious what types of normative "girlhood" are promoted by these sources, and if it is enough that women/girls seem to be creating things for themselves without a marketer as a middle man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many times I've referred to a YouTube video for hairdo's and even how to apply my eyeshadow in a "smokey" manner, or some other beauty tip. I've made coconut milk ice cream, and even removed color from jam jars I stained. I do find that the normative "girlhood" and even "womanhood" are promoted by these sources. Oftentimes, the videos refer to particular brands that I'm not familiar with, or can't afford, or refer to pop culture icons I don't identify with. I agree with you that it's great that the marketer as the middle man is cut out, but part of my considerations wrangle with these spaces. My current search for DIY vow renewal ceremony decorations has placed me in a world where creating the shabby chic costs more than purchasing already made. It's an interesting market, but I bet it's not as cut and dry as it may seem on the outside, as you've touched on. Thanks for replying! : )

      Delete
  2. Karen,

    I find your topic very interesting. A good friend of mine was just telling me the other day that her daughter (13 years old) likes to make videos of crafts she comes up with -like cutting and painting old jeans, or making especial bracelets-. Apparently her daughter has been posting this videos on You Tube for some time with a big success. It looks like, as you stated, this creating and sharing has become another commonplace for girls.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed the confidence in the girls recording themselves for these videos. There are some great organizational skills involved, interaction, and various skills put to work in these postings. This commonplace can be a rough place, also as some comments are not so kind. However, it's also been interesting to find other girls correcting the girls who are not in line. I commend anyone who has the organizational skills, confidence, and know how, to put a video on YouTube. The good ones really do see success and "hits," as your friend's daughter has. Kudos to her!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, Karen! Upon thinking about it, I don't think I've seen anything for boys quite like this on Youtube...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! I don't know about the videos for boys, other than the ones having to do with video game cheats, bike repair, and ways to mess with iPhones, etc. There are a great number of exercise how-to's for boys and men, also. Just yesterday I was looking to make paleo chocolate cupcakes and a young man had a video with a walk through his recipe. He stood out to me, as all the other videos on the right side of the screen were by women. I was impressed! Then, as I searched more, it seemed like the fitness world on YouTube had a nice mix. I am looking tonight to see if there are a nice number of girls with tech postings, such as replacing screens on the iPhone, or similar postings. Good to hear from you, Christine!

      Delete
  4. This is a great topic, Karen! And remember that you can also do a reflection on your time in the camp if you like. You put in tons of time at the camp so if you don't feel like expanding your original 3-item annotated bib just now you can circle back to the project later.

    ReplyDelete