Monday, July 16, 2012

Girls' Bedrooms as a Commonplace

Initially, I was going to make the argument that social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, and not so long ago, MySpace (and who remembers Friendster??) are examples of current commonplaces, but after giving it more thought, I think girls’ bedrooms also serve as commonplaces – and they’re more dynamic.

I remember that during my childhood the bedrooms of my friends and female cousins were always areas of mystique and fascination.  And as I remember, while adult bedrooms tended to be uniform and institutional, the bedrooms of my female peers were like windows to their souls: almost always, their walls were adorned with photographs, cut-outs from magazines and newspapers, posters, letters, bulletin boards, and other odds and ends that illustrated their identity.  I remember entering the bedroom of my teenage cousin and noticing that she had different words cut out from magazines and newspapers covering the wall above her bed.  I assume (now) that she chose words that described her, although I can’t remember any of them now.  As a child, whenever I made a new friend, one of the first things we wanted to do was see each other’s rooms.

In addition to the walls, the bedrooms of girls establish their inhabitant’s identity by their collections of clothing, music, books and magazines.  I was never interested in clothes, but the books in the bedrooms of my friends provided me with endless amusement.  (Even today, I think among the most revealing glances into a person’s inner world is a look at their bookshelf.) In addition, girls’ musical selections usually reveal a hybrid of, and sometimes a struggle between, personal taste and societal expectation.  

In popular culture, I remember two particular examples of girl bedrooms from my childhood: the Judy Blume novel Just As Long As We’re Together, which featured a protagonist with eighteen or twenty different posters covering her walls and ceiling; and the television show Clarissa Explains It All -- Clarissa’s bedroom, to my seven-year-old mind, represented the epitome of what it meant to be a teenage girl.  I coveted a bedroom like that!  My fascination quickly dissipated when I watched the Canadian teen soap opera Fifteen (anyone remember that one?):  the bedroom of one of the female characters was decidedly more grown-up and feminine than Clarissa’s – the paradigm had shifted!

A girl’s bedroom represents one of her first exercises in building an identity.  From what I remember from my days as a babysitter, I think girls put more of themselves into their rooms than boys, and maybe this is because boys do not have the same pressures as girls to create (or conform to) an identity.  Similarly, my early observation of the seeming sterility of “grown-up” bedrooms illustrates that adults have already established an identity in the actual world, and have no need to do additional identity-building in the bedroom.  (Ok, that didn’t come out right … but you get it!)

Another important aspect of the girl’s bedroom is its capacity for evolution.  As the inhabitant matures, and her identity shifts, so do the contents of her bedroom and the adornments on her wall.  Initially, most girls’ bedrooms are influenced exclusively by Mom and/or Dad, then slowly, more and more of its contents and shape are formed by the girl herself, as she navigates her identity. 

It would be interesting to investigate how social media (and the digitalization of society in general) have shifted the commonplace of the girl bedroom.  I don’t feel like I can really speak to this (most of my knowledge of girls’ bedrooms is drawn from an era when cassette tapes were still relevant), but does anyone with a daughter care to extrapolate on the subject?

Hayley

8 comments:

  1. Hayley, I love, love, love this post! This would make a great topic for your annotated bib (and for a conference talk at like the SWTX Pop Culture conference). It makes me think of Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own. I also, when reading your post, was thinking about the ways girls' rooms tend to be eclectic and very DIY (do it yourself) in nature while grown-up rooms are often mass produced and filled with Ikea and stuff we buy at Target. This is really interesting when you think about decorative items. Many of us grown-up ladies and men have pictures and personal souvenirs, but there's a whole industry that teaches us how to properly decorate our rooms (bed-in-a-bag, pre-framed and matted pictures for hanging, plain knik-knacks). At what age does your room need to reflect compliance with other "proper" rooms?
    Again, great post!
    Oh, and I loved Clarissa and her room too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking around my grown-up bedroom I see a lot of what Jen pointed out (bed-in-a-bag, and pier 1 knik-knaks) but every once in a while I find something that stands out, a personal souvenir, etc. I have a friend with an eleven-year old girl. From the time she was old enough to choose her favorite colors, she put a ton of creativity into the decorating of her room. Now, at eleven, I can go over and see her maturing, evolving as a "girl," just by glancing at her walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your question at the end of this post is interesting and alludes to the Reid-Walsh and Mitchelle article we'll be reading later this week that highlights how girls' homepages are comparable to girls' bedrooms. Thus, girls bedrooms serve as private spaces for creative girl expression (181). I wish I had a niece so I could try to address your question, but I was an only child who also grew up in an era when tape cassette players were still relevant.

    I like your post—it provides a strong example of a commonplace we can all relate to. And yes, Clarissa's bedroom was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say that a girl's bedroom and a boy's bedroom are both commonplaces in similar fashion (in my house at least). My daughter's bedroom was once red, yellow, blue and green balloons with bears as an infant. I thought going neutral was the way to go. Then by 5, she wanted Beauty and the Beast sheets, a Belle dress for halloween, princess posters surrounded her and a huge pink netting engulfing her at night over her bed. By 10 she wanted to be anything with the spice girls, grease poster and pink ladies-Good bye Sandra Dee. Soon in her tweens and teens, it was pictures and pictures of her friends, dolphins, and female sports figures (Mia Hamm and the Volley Ball players). It was a place in continuous construction, fluid, lovely and all about her. My son did the same but maybe he got the idea from her since he followed her everywhere she went. If he were the oldest I wonder if he would have changed his space as much. Color changes were not important to him it seemed. As he grew he took time to create a place that was only him. I like your post about bedrooms-I see my children's identities slowly forming in my memories of their bedroom changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hayley,

    I love this idea--because it is so true! However, in my experience, my room didn't 'evolve' from one identity to another, I just kept accumulating new visuals! ha! (My Heath Ledger poster would be pinned up next to a framed rabbit photo that I got when I was 3, etc. etc.) I think my bedroom at my parents' house resembles what yolanda's post describes her closet as being!

    Funny you brought up Clarissa Explains It All! I always thought that room was awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there an element in girls rooms as keeping knick-knacks as mnemonic devices? My girls tell me no mom you can't throw out or take down ----- (to me piece of garbage) because . . . .

    My son also constructed his identity in his room. I think this has changed from a generation or two ago; I like to think males have become more expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It is so interesting to think about how our personal spaces reflect our personalities and and how they change as we grow older. I agree with you that a girls' room is a place where she can express herself but is also a subject of social pressure and expectations to conform. We are shaped by our societal influences and it is only natural that those influences would transfer into our personal spaces. I wonder about the advent of Pinterest and if it has influenced the ways girls express and model their personal spaces as much as it does many of my late-20s-ish friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so true! For many people the bedroom is pretty much the first place where you begin to build an identity. I always think about people who have to share rooms. They really don't get this type of creative outlet. Especially in today's economic environment with people living together in smaller spaces. I wonder how we can compensate for this? Let's say you had two kids sharing a room. Do you divide it in half and each can decorate half? As I said I think this post is wonderful. But I also think girls getting their own rooms is a perk not everyone can enjoy. I wish I could fix that.

    ReplyDelete