Monday, July 2, 2012

Perception of girlhood (1st reading response)

I have always thought of girlhood as the means of how society raises a girl before she reaches menarche, and what values and lessons they would like to impart to push the girl into whatever role society deems acceptable for the individual that will be responsible for birthing the next generation--I don't necessarily agree with this view but that's the only concept I've known as to define girlhood:  full of lessons (intellectual and household), nuturuing and fostering friendships. This only changes with how each society views the role of women--up until the past few decades, women in the U.S. were basically considered only to be pretty vessels for children, and thus society dictated that they be aesthetically pleasing at all times and that the best practice for them would be to stay at home and tend to the husband.  
But back to puberty and coming of age, how many different rituals of coming into womanhood are there in the world? (Hundreds, I am sure) quinceneras, sweet 16s, bat mitzvahs, etc., all mark a time when a girl is 'successfully' a woman and basically what I've taken these ceremonies to mean is that yay, party time is over, let's get serious and start having babies (or at least get into the pathway of that). I think that while a lot of us still have the stereotypical image of girlhood in our minds (maybe mixed more with intellect and adventurous activities) that this image is importantly engrained in our heads as a society because without us, the next generation wouldnt' come. It's interesting also to note that maybe it may be an older view, it doesn't necessarily have to be an insulting one (I for one am career orientated, and not encouraging all girls to sit around idle and not educate themselves) but everytime a country goes into war, the rhetoric for the country is feminine driven, "motherland," equating females wtih prosperity and the whole basis of life and what's worth living for (which I think is a pretty big compliement and deal.) 
I think it is important for the academy to study this to see how rhetoric drives young girls into certain modes of thinking--what certain connotations of words are, and how they change throughout the years, in turn, shaping girlhood-- "bitch" "whore" "prude" and "slut" being some of them--harsh and extreme examples, but what I hear often in conversations about girls talking about eachother in envy, or guys when referring to girls that don't want the time of day with them. 

I really enjoyed these first articles--especially the "Pink Think" article. The ancedote about the pink versus blue blankets really struck home. My grandmother made blankets for all of her grandchildren to have to be brought home in. Four of her grandchildren were born before me--all boys--and they were given red, green, blue and purple blankets. When she heard I was going to be a girl, she made a pink blanket because "it was necessary." I haven't seen her logic in this--for my sister (born a year and a half later) and my girl cousin, (born five years later) both received gender neutral blankets (blue and yellow) AND that was with the knowledge months in advance that both were going to be girls--I'm sure there's some psychological methodology behind it--but haven't quite figured out what....

-Christine

7 comments:

  1. There is definitely a power to femininity -- and lots and lots of rules. Did you see any of the Breast Milk Baby controversy? It's pretty interesting as far as what you are saying about the pull at girls at a really young age to think about mothering.

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/breast-milk-baby-doll-girls/story?id=13251971

    What does it mean for girls who can't or don't want to some day be moms? Are they less valued? Are boys expected to think of fatherhood at 8, 10 or 12 years old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think mothers are less valued then professional women.

      In some individuals, the nurturing instinct is there at a very young age, male or female. One of my sons when he was 4 said, "I am going to grow up and take care of Lilly ." ( a childhood crush) It stunned me because I have had to learn how to nurture and parent.
      When I separated from the Air Force after serving six years in Intelligence, being a full-time parent/spouse was the most difficult thing I had ever done.

      In response to the ABC news article, America considers breasts sexual; therefore breast feeding must be provocative and sexual. I disagree. It is one of the ideas I laughed at in "Pink Think" about the fulfillment of the sexual act. Women in the Western world are lucky to have alternative nutrition sources for their children, but most of the world doesn't have access to clean water and infant formula. More and more women in the Western world are realizing the importance of breast feeding.

      There are also boys who nurture through play with a doll or stuffed animal. When I was young, Fisher-Price made a boy doll. So depending on what culture and media you surround yourself with, yes, boys think of fatherhood too.

      Delete
    2. You raise a good argument Christine especially where third-world countries are concerned, but I have to disagree. As far as America is concerned, I see the doll as touting an ideological message that seems to rank breast feeding over formula. Some moms may want to breast feed but can’t because of their work schedules, and others may simply not want to breast feed at all. The choice to breast feed or not to breast feed should be valued as an individual choice or preference with its own benefits and disadvantages—not as an ideological virtue. It’s true that girls may already be pretending to breast feed with their dolls and this doll just takes it one step further. But what was wrong with leaving imagination in its place? Letting those who choose to breast feed their dolls— just doing that—pretending without the baby doll mimicking feeding behaviors. What about the girl who isn’t really in to “girly” toys--who prefers gender neutral toys (or masculine toys) but receives this doll as a “gift” from a relative who holds feminized ideologies about “girlhood” and “womanhood” and looks to push her ideals on her niece or granddaughter? This girl is overlooked. I can relate—I was that girl. My aunt was a very old fashion feminized woman who always got me the worst gifts—pink lacey nightgowns and flowery little pillows—that I never wanted.

      Delete
    3. Hi Colleen, Robyn, and Jen,

      Thanks for bringing up the breast feeding point! The thought hadn't even crossed my mind when writing my response to be honest, as I hadn't thought to play pretend with my dolls like that when I was growing up. When I had my dolls, I liked to do other forms of 'nurturing conditioning' I guess you could call it--dressing it, pretending to change its diaper, feeding, and making it "go to school" which consisted of a small dry board and teaching my doll what I was learning in class.
      My sister, a year and a half younger than me, sounds kind of like how Robyn describes her childhood--not into dolls at all. My sister would instead beg for stuffed animal dogs and would nurture them in a different way by pretending to be a Vet--caring for wounds, giving examininations, bandaging legs, etc. Growing up she wouldn't wear anything that wasn't a neutral color (lots of blues and greens), rode dirt bikes, was the only girl in a wielding class within FFA, etc, and while society might deem her a 'tomboy' (I can't tell you how many purses, dolls and bows were shoved down her throat that she was replused by and rebelled against) there's still a nuturing instinct in girls, which may or may not translate into reproduction but could be utilized somewhere else--for all those years she spent playing with stuffed dogs, she is now studing to pre-vet here at NMSU. I guess what my response was most concerned with was what instills a nuturing motive in girls (regardless if they are 'girly' or 'tomboy like'?

      Colleen--your son sounds amazing! Any four year old that says that sounds to me to be a really gifted, empathic and sensitive individual!

      Delete
  2. Christine,

    I'm intrigued by the rite of passage idea from girlhood to womanhood; I agree that traditionally menarche was the symbol of adulthood, but I wonder if sexual activity has become the new rite of passage.
    Unfortunately both of these biological processes have very little to do with mental or emotional maturity. I wonder if religious rites of passage deal with more emotional spiritual grounding such as the bat mitzvah.

    I think nurturing ( I prefer that word over mothering) needs to be taught to girls as well as to boys since many individual's lives will have interaction with children even if it's not their own. In the "From Badness to Meanness" article the authors point to families as the causes for more female incarceration, "parents were not protectors from the criminal justice system, and, instead were the instigators of official sanctions" or "families and communities did not necessarily have the resources to challenge the criminalization of minor forms of youthful misbehavior."

    Nurturing does not exclude education or career. If these minority girls families had more education or nurturing skills perhaps they would be able to help their children more.

    So, I think families play an important part in girlhood and its roles. Looking back I believe the women I saw influenced me more than the media. My own family was non-traditional as my mother died when I was young, (12) and I spent time in a foster home, but the concept of family is still there.

    Not to be snarky, Germany is the Fatherland to its citizens, and I'm sure there are others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen-


      You bring up great points! I had forgotten about Germany being referred to as the Fatherland! I am sure there are others, too--now I'm interested and wondering what that constitutes for rhetoric regarding nations for the Academy, but that's going off on a whole other tangent I'm sure haha :)

      I definitely agree with if there were more education for minority families, their children would be helped and guided more.

      Delete
  3. Christine,
    You bring up a great point that traditionally girlhood ended with menarche. However, I also agree with Colleen that that standard has changed, with (I tend to think) a decreased emphasis on the importance of girls being virgins until marriage. Interestingly enough, although I have crossed all the boundaries of girlhood and am now into womanhood (old enough to rent a car!) I still have times where I consider myself still a girl. I am not sure there is one defining moment that changes our movement into womanhood. In fact, I am quite sure I am not there yet, even if society deems me thus.

    ReplyDelete