Thursday, July 5, 2012

Response to Butler’s gender theory

In Butler’s gender theory, she contends that identity is fluid rather than fixed, and using the example of “coming out,” she writes, “If I claim to be a lesbian, I ‘come out’ only to produce a new and different ‘closet’ “(125). She also states, “Identity categories tend to be instruments of regulatory regimes, whether as the normalizing categories of oppressive structures or as the rallying points for a liberatory contestation of that very oppression” (124).

Her discussion of lesbianism as it relates to identity can be applied to discussions of girlhood, although there has to be a distinction in the sense … every woman goes through a period of girlhood, and (to a greater or lesser degree) is socialized during this period to become a girl. I suppose that one could argue both lesbians and non-lesbians go through a period of realization of their sexual orientation (for non-lesbians, the realization is mostly conscious; for lesbians, conscious). The becoming of girlhood seems mostly unconscious, but maybe less so than the sexual awakening of heterosexual women: girls learn what behaviors do and do not constitute girlhood and act accordingly, while straight women don’t consciously behave straight. (Or … do they??) In addition, lesbians seem more conscious of their sexual identity than non-lesbians; of course, this is probably a product of heterosexuality’s position as the status quo.

I really struggled with Butler. This was the first time I have read her, and I felt like I was floundering and with no context. I am going to the library later today and looking for a book that will help clarify her theories for me. Then -- I might (hopefully) have something to add to this post.

Hayley

5 comments:

  1. I think, to a large degree, you have a point about straight women consciously behaving straight. The inclination, of course, is to say there isn't a conscious way of behaving but when you think about it, there is. For instance, as a little girl I remember holding hands with my best girl friend, but as we grew older that affectionate touching began to "feel" inappropriate. It's hard to say if it was something I learned from my parents, an unspoken set of cues, but nonetheless I learned the prohibition and act accordingly. Something to definitely think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley,

    I too, struggled with these readings--if you find a good book to help clarify the theories, please pass along the title to me :) Interesting point about coming of age for both non-lesbians and lesbians--I wonder if girlhood to lesbians is thought about in academia as the same for girlhood for non-lesbians and if we are 'closeting' girlhood into niches to describe different girlhoods (if there is such a thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,

      I checked this out of NMSU's library today:

      http://www.amazon.com/Gender-Transitions-Claire-Colebrook/dp/0333994574/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341540300&sr=1-2&keywords=gender+colebrook

      I'm going to read it this weekend. It's around 250 pages and references Butler a lot.

      I will let you know if I find it helpful.

      Hayley

      Delete
    2. Hi Christine and Hayley-
      Let me assure you that everyone struggles with Butler. She's sort of the bedrock theorist of gender/LGBT identity stuff so I think the work is dense in that she was sort of coining new terminology for a whole field.
      Hang in - it'll get easier and there's no test. I just want folks to get used to reading this sort of theory.
      Let me know if I can help.
      Jen

      Delete
  3. Hayley-
    Your discussion of women acting straight was so interesting. I am doing some research right now on online dating site Match.com and one of the things I am finding is that both the site and culture seem to provide fairly strict scripts for performing heterosexual male and female. Men are often pictured with a child (to show nurturing), encouraged to share how much they make in their careers, and often exaggerate height. Women tend to report lower age and weight than they really are and perform nurturing, meek and "wifely" identities. It's sort of a fascinating place to look at gender.

    ReplyDelete