Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5th Response


Upon reading “Feminist Perspectives on Media” and “Postfeminist Media Culture” the first thing I thought of was the very first episode of Mad Men. I don't want to sound very pretentious but I'm going to. I really don't watch that much TV. The TV I do watch is mostly on DVD. And it's usually at least three years old. So, I just watched the first episode of Mad Men and one of the storyline hooks to that initial episode is how the businessmen abusively treat their secretaries. The secretaries are expected to take it because, I think, they thought that was the best way to keep their jobs. It was pretty jaw-dropping but I understand it was one of the hooks designed to keep you watching. So you would say to yourself, “I cannot believe that older veteran secretary just told the younger secretary (late teens to early 20s) to always dress provocatively in the direct hopes that the higher-ups (all men by the way) would perhaps sleep with the “alluring”secretary. Essentially, it is the first day on the job for the new secretary and she is told such things as, “always have a drink ready for your boss”, “never question his requests” etc. It was shocking to me. It also made me grateful for the strides we have made since the first and second waves. I understand things are not perfect. I know many workplace environments are not socially aware but I do think beneficial changes have taken place since the time of Mad Men. I have heard many people say that Mad Men seems pretty authentic as far as the time period goes and how things actually were then. It's scary to think we used to treat women that way then.

I wonder just how many women have been given prominent roles as heads of TV networks. I know Bonnie Hammer is pretty high up at the USA Network. Which reminds me of the show Fairly Legal which depicts a mediator working in her stepmother's firm. To me, this character is seen as the main character and is often times shown in a position of power which to me is refreshing. I have only seen it two or three times but the character is very headstrong and assertive and really doesn't care who she upsets. So yes, I suppose in both these examples the text are being mediated. In one it is a negative viewpoint and in the other it is positive.

3 comments:

  1. Even though the current show "Mad Men" depicts earlier times, it seems very offensive because new viewers who are not aware of past strides in feminism or who are aware of feminism in the sense of the "f" word, which is derogatory, such shows only work to promote old ideas in new ways. "Girls" and boys who watch may be picking up old habits that media refuses to let die. I think it is a conspiracy. Presentism in order to maintain the status quo, or a desperate attempt to lure us back into more oppressive times. Am I wrong to think this? I have not watched the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Deb. I think MadMen (which is a great example, Thomas, thanks) is pretty solidly situated in the past. As the Butler piece points out, gender norms and performances are situational and contextual. I can't imagine many folks would think it is advocating for this sort of treatment of anyone (women, ethnic minorities, the poor - all groups featured on the show to an extent). Instead, I think it is hoped it will inspire discussion -- like this -- about how far we've come. I guess the danger is for us to think we've progressed farther than we actually have.

    I think vanZoonen (and I'll be eager to see what y'all think of the Mulvey piece for Monday) would say the way to safeguard against stereotypes here is to give viewers the language to discuss the gendered performances they see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good point and I hope that it is true. This may render my post on the two readings as incorrect since I allude to the same idea that similar messages are produced but in different forms. I will reevaluate my interpretations.

    ReplyDelete