Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pink, pink, pink: Girlhood & Marketing


A major difference between marketing toward girls versus marketing toward any other group in society is the use of color.  Back to pink … toys marketed to girls are pink, have pink packaging, and are advertised on television and in print in a sea of pink.  In girlhood marketing, pink is ubiquitous.  No other target audience enjoys such an association with a single color.

I was curious about this use of pink, so I went to Google Image Search and typed “Toys for girls.”  Just a casual scroll through the results shows that almost every image returned is pink -- those that aren’t pink are either purple or another pastel color. Conversely, search “Toys for boys”, and you will see that no one color dominates.  Although the use of color might seem minor, I think it’s a representation of how girls are viewed.  Girl toys are easily identified by the use of pink, and girls are expected to be identified by their appearance more than their actions.  The boy toys represent a plethora of colors -- many of them bold, dynamic.  And boys seemed judged more on their behavior than their appearance, and they defy simple categorization.

I also grew curious about other variations of “pink think” and its relationship to marketing, so back to Google Image Search I went.  (This one isn’t for those easily offended.)  This time, I searched “Sex toys for women.”  Almost all of the products that resulted were -- you guessed it -- pink.  (Most of the remainders were purple.)  I don’t think this is by chance.  I suppose that these sex toys are being marketed to women who have been taught since early childhood to desire “pink toys”, but I also think that the color pink has been sexualized to some degree.

Using pink to such a heightened degree in marketing toward girls results in one-dimensional girls (or -- one-dimensional perceptions of girls, rather).  One color, one way of looking, and one acceptable way of behaving.

Hayley

5 comments:

  1. Yes. My daughter has an obsession with pink, and it is solely because of marketing.She is four and the only clothes that she wants to wear are pink. The only dolls she wants to play with are pink. Her bedding is pink, etc. Her favorite color is pink. I have been trying to introduce her to other colors...and I have had some success, but I am competing with multimillion dollar marketing. I can't ban the color to make a point because I want her to be happy. Unfortunately, little girls do not have the maturity or the ability to assimilate these concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about pink think when it comes to grown-up toys. Great extension of the argument! The whole thing makes me think of green-washing and the ways companies now slap a "going green" logo on things now and feel they can charge more because as a consumer they are selling me ideas of protecting the earth and being eco-friendly. But research has shown that for many such products this is only a gimic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of Pink October. It is interesting to that the marketing for breast cancer and the month of October is pink.

      Delete
  3. Jen -

    Good point -- I completely forgot about the "going green" market.

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny that you bring up the adult market being targeted by pink, because now that I've reflected a bit on this, I am reminded that when I was shopping for dorm things a few years ago, Target had a HUGE display saying something to the effect, "gear up for college" and EVERYTHING was pink! I had a hard time finding my preferred color scheme (blue--I love anything with a beach motif) and thus had to order online, from a different retailer. It is sad that even when women are going off to become even more educated, they are still shoved only one option in decor expression down their throats.

    ReplyDelete