Saturday, July 7, 2012

What I think of Butler's theory


What do I think of Butler’s gender theory?  I think that just when I feel like I am beginning to understand Butler, I get confused all over again. 

I think that language, contributing to definition, categorization, of sex, also contributes to the societal expectations placed on gender.  Sex, as Judith Butler proposed, as being “both produced and destabilized in the course of reiteration.”  I see this as being similar to gender, however, agree that sex is somewhat “constructed,” as Butler states, while I believe gender is wholly “constructed,” by the outside discourses, iterated and reiterated.  Then, as with sex a “set of actions motivated by law,” through discursive practices is created in attempts for the person to take personal agency.  This is where I feel that Butler is hitting the nail on the head for both the materiality of sex and for gender as it is socially constructed. 

I believe that most humans are given the agency to choose the ways in which they will perform their sex/gender, but also believe that because of the need for humans to name and categorize, the choices as delineated by two sexes (the only two discussed, although there are more) causes limitation.  That being said, the “heterosexual hegemony,” as Butler mentions, becomes that mold by which humans are encouraged and compelled to base their performative actions upon.

Although I move back and forth from feeling that I am in complete agreement with Butler’s gender theory, I have to say that by ending her essay in questions,  I am left less in agreement and alongside her in feeling that there are only more questions to ask before we can understanding. 



3 comments:

  1. Butler doesn't have easy questions or answers, but I appreciate her willingness to ask questions and not dictate answers. I enjoyed that about van Zoonen also. The nuance I get is that they are exploring like we are exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I agree with you that most of us are given a choice of how to perform but inherent in that choice are the many consequences we are faced with if we decide to act outside the 'mold' as you put it. What is the price of going against the grain? And how many of us are fully willing to pay it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Colleen - no easy answers here. But Butler does ask some GOOD questions :)

    I am intrigued by the idea of agency when it comes to enacting gender. I feel strongly that gender is not innate or biological, but I also wonder how much freedom we actually have when it comes to how we will "be" our genders. There are just so many consequences to not doing gender in socially acceptable ways - in not "passing". It might cost a job, a relationship, the chance to parent, the chance to make friends. This is so complicated, I think, because so much is at stake.

    ReplyDelete